Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bad week house update

Finally some good news...

The leak ended up being pretty easy to fix. The incredibly smart people who previously owned my house put a fancy new whirlpool bath tub in the guest bathroom and "forgot" to caulk around the fixtures. Meaning that every time someone showers or bathes a small amount of water drips behind the tub and into my master bedroom closet. Awesome. Luckily it was a quick fix and it was even covered on our home warranty! If you don't have a home warranty...I suggest you get one.

My creepy crawly little insect friends are indeed NOT termites. We had two (yes 2) pest companies come out to take a look and both said with all certainty that we do not have termites. The little bugs are most likely carpet beetle larvae, which is just as disgusting as it sounds. Carpet beetles eat carpet (duh) but also pet hair, clothing or any sort of organic fiber. I completely blame the previous owners (shocker) because everything I read about carpet beetles tells me that they live in places that aren't cleaned or vacuumed much and homes that have pets, they had 2 dogs and a cat. From what I can tell they NEVER cleaned or vacuumed, you should see the amount of pet hair we vacuumed and steamed up when we moved in. Still, I am more than trilled that they are not termites as termites are expensive to remove and can do a lot of damage. However, carpet beetles are a pain in my you know what to get rid of. We have to wash or dry clean ALL of our clothes and bedding, including things in drawers and other closets in the house. We also have to remove the old carpet (gladly) and set off bug "bombs" in every room of the house, which means that I have to find somewhere for myself, my husband, our cat and our dog to go for FOUR HOURS this weekend...anyone up for 4 house guests?

All in all this is great news. Way better than how I thought my little closet discovery was going to turn out, and a lot cheaper. Finally we will have our new carpet put in and our furniture returned. Thank god. Unfortunately Lady Gaga has taken over my husbands life for the next 3 days (he works at the arena in Dallas and coordinates concerts etc) so we will have to wait until next week for the carpet. If I have learned anything at all these past few months it's patience, so I will wait, and I'm ok with that ;)

To those of you who read and comment or do so on facebook or via real life: Thank you for all the kind words and support last week. Things were rough and you all cheered me up :) xoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. It will all be worth it in the end, I don't know from expiernce but I can only imagine..

    Imagine sitting watching tv and being able to look around and belike I did this and I did that all on my own!

    Keep up the good work girl!

    ReplyDelete