Monday, October 4, 2010

so much for a week off

This past week my sweet baby cheeks was off sailing the Caribbean with her mommy so I was left to twiddle my thumbs. Of course I decided to work on the house, little did I know that one simple job would turn into a 5 day long project that almost killed me. Ya see we have an old 1970's fire place, with an old 1970's mantle to match. The previous owners painted the fireplace and mantle in an attempt to bring it up to date (um yeah painting it an awful shade of yellow tan is NOT modern). We are eventually going to re-stone the entire fireplace with a fabulous natural stone but that is one of the last things on our house to do list (buying a house full of furniture and new cabinets/counter tops is on the top of the list in case you were wondering). So last week we decided that we must find a way to update the fireplace and make it bearable until we are ready to re-stone. We bought white paint and planned to paint it all but then I had a "brilliant" idea...while examining the mantle more closely I thought there HAS to be a beautiful piece of wood underneath all that paint. I was right. Now normally I loooove being right (yes its a flaw of mine, oops) however this time I almost wish I had been wrong. We spent 1 full day stripping it with a nasty nasty chemical, which left me with a few chemical burns BTW. Then we spent a 1/2 day using another chemical to clean the gunk off that was left behind from the first chemical. Next I began to sand, and sand, and sand. 5 days of sanding later, yes 5, we had a brand new piece of wood. Oh and then I spent 2 days sweeping, mopping and conditioning my new leather furniture. My entire house was covered in fine brown dust, it's gross. This weekend I will stain and gloss it. Shit.


While Samantha and Mommy were doing this....


And this...


I was doing this.....


And this....




No comments:

Post a Comment